Thursday, October 16, 2008

Oct 16, Part 15 - Paris: Sculpture in the Louvre

The Louvre seems endless, but I love looking back at the photos when I'm not so exhausted from trek, trek, trekking through the halls. You can't take it all with you, but here are a few photos of things I especially liked.

The ceilings are magnificent and ever-changing.

I rarely comment on tourists I happen to catch in my photos, but I believe I have here a rare picture of a vampire in conjunction with a Roman orator or soldier.

Are these a soldier's boots? I'm not sure, but I love the colors - the unexpected black stone with the rest of the sculpture in luscious tones of gold and red. Lee thought he'd check out the pedestal, or maybe stabilize himself for the long look upward.

Here's a detail of the hem of the tunic, all done with stone inlay. Marvelous!

I should have taken notes. I'm not sure who this is or who it's by, but I loved the translucent stone tunic, especially in juxtapositon to the opaque, white body.

And this one! I feel as thought I got a lucky shot with the lightin, and the exposure that captured both the sculpture and sun-drenched background. Wha I also like is the attractive tourist posed here for someone else's photo. Voila! An unexpected perk. No, I have no idea who she is, but thank you for being in my photo!

Feet and snake.

This one is strange. I think I saw a wood engraving of it one time in a old Harper's Weekly or something like that. I'm sure there's a myth or legend behind it, but I have no idea what it is. Maybe someday I'll find the engraving again. It could turn up in my box of images that I save to make collages out of (the collage box).

I'm sorry I didn't get this one straight. I tried to turn it, but it cropped off too much of the arch, so here it is, crooked. I like it's ornateness against the plain arches and walls of the museum.

Another hallways in the Louvre's sculpture wing - a nice place to wander.


The sun had come out, and the dark clouds made a nice contrast with the buildings on the opposite side of the courtyard. At least most of that is the Musee des Arts Decoratifs (Museum of Decorative Arts and Design). Sometime I should go in, but I never have. When you have only a few days in Paris, do you see the Louvre, or the other museum? I think sometime I want to see the other museum. It looks interesting.

Further down the wing, another shot under the moody sky. Cool lighting. I like it.


No comments: