Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Oct 15, Part 2 - Approaching Notre Dame

What do you do in Paris on a dull and drizzly day? Or maybe the question should be, when do you visit the great cathedrals of Paris? Well, it was a dull and drizzly day and we thought we'd start by visiting Notre Dame and then it might be a good day to see the cathedral of St. Denis. I hadn't thought about this until later, but museums might be a better choice, since many cathedrals rely on their incredible stained glass windows to bring the interiors to life - or at least photographers rely on them. In any event, we decided to see cathedrals today. It was only a short couple of blocks from Place Maubert to Notre Dame. I don't know if approaching Notre Dame will ever not be a thrill.

It actually looks and feels more medieval in this kind of weather, don't you think? That's Lee in the don't-notice-me screaming yellow-green jacket and red backpack. But I like the colors, and when I get distracted taking photos, I don't lose him :) Today especially, the colors make a nice contrast.

Here's the Seine from the Pont au Double as we crossed to Notre Dame from the Left Bank. The next bridge you see is Pont de l'Archeveche. The bridges all have such history, but I won't go into that now. If I thought we walked a lot and saw a lot yesterday, we were about to do the same today.

No comments: