Tuesday, June 05, 2001

Day 1: June 5, 2001 - Leaving Palisade, first night

I don't have any photos for this day. I got super lucky, because we were having an unseasonably cool few days just when I had to go get the moving truck and put everything together. It's hard to describe what the heat can do to me, especially combined with the stress of leaving home, so this was just plain fortuitous. We picked up a couple of Marco's friends to help pack the truck. One or two others bailed, so we were lucky to have anyone. It took a lot longer than anyone expected, but eveything fit just about perfectly. The pre-planning paid off. Everyone behaved, and it was a friendly effort all around. I don't remember the goodbyes. I rememer that Kate flew in on time, and I had to keep her waiting longer than I expected, but she'd brought a book and was fine with that. She waited at the airport, which was just off of the route I needed to take out of town anyway.

So, the sendoffs were done. Kate (incredible friend) was a welcome sight. I was even more tense than I thought I'd be and I just wanted to get on the road. I remember seeing her at the airport seemingly pretty relaxed and wearing a colorful (blueish?) scarf. The truck was packed, and it had seemed the lesser of several evils to put my car on a tow rack behind it with all wheels off the ground. I can't say I'd had much experience driving a truck this big myself, but Kate said she had. Once with Kate, I think I began to relax a little. She drove, and we hit the nearby highway never looking back, or not much. We passed through Grand Junction, Fruita, Loma, Mack, and over the Colorado-Utah border on I-70, driving literally into the sunset. I remember how red the sky was, and how pretty it made the desert. It was reassuring and, as Kate and I always did, we laughed in spite of everything.

We'd of course planned to be far enough along to stop for the night before it was actually dark, but that wasn't going to happen. We stopped for dinner somewhere and ate something. The room was big. It was OK, I think. The A/C was cold. And we got into the low desert mountains before we stopped for the night at a small hotel.

Go to Day 2

No comments: