Wednesday, June 13, 2001

Discovering my new world: 1. On the beach with the Peter Iredale; 2. Astoria's waterfront

I didn't take any pictures on moving day (June 12). Now I'd probably take dozens, but the digital was still new, the cards were small, and I was still pretty stressed, tired, and focused on getting the job done and returning the truck so it didn't cost me another day. On the 13th, Kate and I took the truck the hour's drive back to Longview and we were finally free of the hulking thing that kept getting us into trouble. Of course, it had also gotten us here, which was a total relief. I began to hate Longview at this point. It was flat with few landmarks, and I kept getting lost.

So we took my car and began to explore. I'm not sure how we found the wreck of the Peter Iredale that first day. Maybe Erby or Alex had mentioned it. It's a short drive of about 15 minutes, although I've never clocked it, but you wouldn't find it unless you either stumbled on it by accident or knew exactly where to go. You have to make some non-intuitive choices to get there. What an interesting thing to find on the beach! And, I was stunned by how beautiful Oregon's beaches are. I had not done a lot of research; I was more focused on rental prices and basic amenities. I'd not only found an incredible apartment in my price range, but now this astonishing beach. I also remember driving through a fern-filled pine forest on the way, and had been totally charmed and surprised by what I saw. I felt I'd settled in paradise. So much of interest and beauty was so close to home. The climate seemed just right for me. I loved it.

I often call the wreck, the "bones" of the Peter Iredale, and this photo almost looks like bones, yes?

The tide was out. You can see the waves through the ship's skeleton. Laurel wrote some things about the Peter Iredale, and I'll refer you to her blog for the history and pix of when it was a floating ship.


Very cool. Barnacles and rust. That's funny, I just found a photo of the Peter Iredale with that exact title on Panoramio. It shows the location, too. The barnacles are clearer than this picture with my old camera.


Oregon welcomed us with a beautiful clear day. It wasn't too hot, either, especially here by the water. I don't think I'd been to the beach during the eight years I lived in Colorado. This beach is not much for swimming unless you like wetsuits and cold water, but it's absolutely gorgeous. This picture is facing south. You can see two pieces of metal sticking up out of the sand. These are part of the ship's stern.

There's the bow end of the wreck again. What an amazing setting. I love being surrounded by living things, including grass and seagulls and small crabs.

Still pretty tired and deciding to take it easy, we returned to Astoria and treated ourselves to dinner out at Baked Alaska. Here's one of the views from the window.

And another view. These scenes would become so familiar, but these are my first pictures of them. The pilot boat is in dock, and the tall bit of land in the middle of the horizon is Tongue Point. The water is the wide expanse of the Columbia River. You can see the radio tower sticking up from behind the building. That tower would have great significance for me later, but at the moment it was just another part of the unique and charming scenery.

There's the radio tower again. We had a lovely dinner with excellent food, but we splurged and had their signature Baked Alaska dessert. I discovered during the night that for me, chocolate and alcohol don't mix! Weird, but true. I haven't been able to mix them since (and I have tried more than once :)

No comments: