Thursday, February 19, 2009

Bufflehead duck male and female

I keep trying to get a photo of the males. They have more white on them and the crazy pie shap on the head. Speaking of which, look how tall the head is in relation to the beak! I think the female is pretty, too, with white streak near her eye, but it's rarer to see the males. They often swim paired up. These two were out at the extent of my zoom, so the picture isn't that detailed. I may have to sit in one place for a long time to get them to come in close enough for a better photo. When I see them and go out on the deck with my camera, they get the heck out of there as fast as they can. I'll keep trying. I took this picture from my back deck here on the Columbia River in Astoria. It still amazes me to be on the river. I love it!

No comments: