Wednesday, July 18, 2001

July 18: Lazy scenes of Astoria and the river

I still feel like I'm just beginning to investigate this new place. It seems there's a lot to do if you just go out and do it. Unfortunately, money is really tight, but it would be nice to just pick a few concerts and events and go.

What's free is the ever-changing river scene here. I took this photo from the Sixth Street Viewing Platform.

Here's another shot from the platform. Over the roof of the restaurant, you can just see the top of the hill near my apartment. It's actually a bit east.

This is the deck of the Sixth Street Viewing platform looking at the buildings upriver (east). When I was trying to decide whether to move here, some of the few photos I found online centered around this pier.

For some reason the lens makes a lot of the photos come out crooked, and I don't even notice until I see them. In this case, I like the result.

Here's the old pier below my apartment again.

I love this tall tree. Once again, I can't get the wire out of the view, and I'm too much of a historian to photoshop it out. If I were doing something with the photo, I would, but I'm just recording it for now. It really is a lovely scene, though, yes?

The power line is out of the frame, but you don't get the majestic feel of the tall tree.

These are my back steps. The ones further into the frame go up to the street on the outside of the building.

I like the patterns of the sunlight and the slats in the railing.

Overlooking Astoria on another matchless summer day. The max. temperature was 64 degrees. Average for today is 67 degrees. It can get into the 90s or even 100 or so, but it's rare. I've been told that there are only a few days each summer where the temps get that hot - maybe as few as 4 or 5 days per year. I still can't believe my good fortune in finding this place!

No comments: