Tuesday, July 24, 2001

July 24: Fort Columbia, Washington

The view from Fort Columbia, Washington Today I crossed the Astoria-Megler bridge and discovered Fort Columbia on the Washington side of the river. It was another gorgeous day in the mid-60s. I can't get over what beautiful green places there are to explore and enjoy so close to home. This is a view over the Columbia River from the fort grounds. We're not far from where the bridge "lands" on the river bank, so the view from here includes looking back at Astoria itself.

I liked the white flowers in the grass up on the hill here where you can park the car.

Berry bushes and officers' housing. It's really tranquil here, as very few people seem to visit. It's nicely kept up, and it's just beautiful.

Here's one of the few gun emplacements. Fort Columbia has a long history, but it's now used by tourists, hikers, picknickers, and a few people wanting to take nice photos or look for wildlife.

I'm still getting used to the way such a profusion of plants either grow wild or take to the wild here. Nobody needs to water them.

The officers' housing is in two neat rows. It's kind of strange how they're kept up and look like someone should be living in them.

Berry bushes and old buildings, Fort Columbia, Washington.

It's almost like a ghost town, but it's in immaculate condition.

I wandered down a path into the thicket of plants, and found this crazy thing hidden away in an unlikely spot. I'm sure it made sense at the time it was in use: G.E. 50 KW. Gas Generator, Patented March 8, 1913. I would have made a link to some information, but I couldn't find any.

Here's another flower growing wild on the grounds. I imagine it was brought in when people lived here.

Nice berries growing wild.

Here's the Columbia River with a boat jetting along in the direction of the open sea.

I was all set to take a photo in the dim light of the woods, then the wind rippled through and blurred the seeds. I liked the effect.

Looking back across the Columbia at Astoria. You can see the bridge at the horizon on the left.

This is Astoria again. It was a calm, quiet day, and a bit lonesome. It's good to have someone to share nice places with, but at the moment, I don't have that. Feeling kinda sad.

Muddy water here along the rocky bank.

No comments: