Tuesday, March 03, 2009

The Plover Arrow and the Glorious Express

I've been spending a lot of nice days inside working. Mostly it can't be helped right now, but I am going to make a vow to get out more. I'm lucky, though, because what passes outside the window is pretty interesting, even when I'm stuck a the desk. All of the wood is soaking wet, although we have sun today.

It's always fun to learn the names of the ships. Some seem pretty strange, like the Plover Arrow. What the heck is that?

I have to use the camera's zoom to see this close up. It's interesting to see how tall the ladder is on the various ships. This one is pretty short, and there isn't too much of a climb for the pilots. The shapes and colors are always interesting, too. I'm never tired of watching the ships. One might wonder about pollution. Our air looks clean here, and I didn't think that much about it at first. But yes, they are highly polluting, and I'll write more about that later.

The Columbia River doesn't get the huge ships that go through the Panama Canal, but we do get some big ones. They come in various sizes. You might think that a ship like the Plover Arrow is big until one of these comes along!


Here's another set-up for letting the pilots on board.


Clouds and blue sky. It looks like it's going to rain again.

No comments: