Monday, March 23, 2009

March 23: Late Spring, early dinner in Bend

This unfortunate photo is one of my "recording" pictures, just to show what was going on. It had been raining, but was cold enough overnight to build up snow on the hills outside of town. It's been a gray, cold day with funky light for photos.

As usual, I spent most of the day on the computer, blogging, working on the web site. The upside is, I get to play with photos of one kind or another for most of my work these days. You can see again, the weather was kind of blah outside. I'm not sure what the plan is for the flags on the bridge, but it's always festive. Some days there are a lot of different colors. Maybe the green is left over from St. Patrick's Day. You can't see it, but there's a path along the river where people are out jogging and walking - some even on a day like this. There's a fire in the brazier, but it's cold for outdoor sitting. There are tall picture windows around the view sides of the restaurant. We were here once on a nice day and the mountain view was nice.

I liked the fish on the carpet. Lee and I have started going to Happy Hour. Not that we're much into drinking, but we like one now and then. Maybe cheap(er) appetizers have been going on at happy hours for years, but since I've had entire years when I didn't drink anything, the whole concept passed me by. Now we're finding that we can get a drink (or not) and try a few different and very tasty snacks and pretty much call it dinner. We've tried to do this in Astoria, but the one place we've tried has mostly cheap, horrible, greasy food. Here in Bend, the restaurants and pubs are presenting arrays of better-cooked and interesting foods on the Happy Hour menu. I hope the trend catches on in Astoria, too. This place is a seafood restaurant and the appetizers were really good. They also blended the Margarita. I'm finding that some places don't.

The metal fish hanging from the ceiling was warm and friendly.

We had coconut shrimp on sticks, lots of steamer clams in a huge bowl, and I had some other kind of seafood thing that I really liked. (I'm writing this a few days later; I'd get it again if I could remember what it was). Then when we really didn't need it, we each had a small cup of clam chowder. But it was good. Yumm.

No comments: