Wednesday, January 03, 2001

My first digital camera that recorded dates

What a part of my life that has become . . . taking pictures with dates recorded by the camera. Above is the first picture I took with my new Olympus digital. It had a flat dark gray card (before the state-of-the-art SanDisk that everything uses now), and I don't remember how much storage it had. I'm looking back now, writing this in 2009. This first photo was numbered by the camera "P1030001.JPG." The photo is my computer in Palisade, where I spent so much time working on my web site and the Tapir Preservation Fund. The camera instructions are laid out in front of the PC, and a beanie tapir from Hungary is perched on the top of the monitor. For a number of years, we sold those in the gift shop. The window open in the lower right must have something to do with the camera. I don't recognize it any more.

This is the bulletin board above Marco's computer desk. We sat back-to-back in the family room/office that had been converted from a garage before we bought the house. There was a wood stove, and it was a cozy place to work or play interactive games. We were into WarCraft, the really early version, among other things. Marco was a whiz at AutoCad drafting, and had his own business working from home. We had a cat and two dogs. It was a nice time.

I remember wanting to buy something just a little exotic when I bought the hanging thing, wanting to spend money when I really didn't have it to spend. I enjoyed looking at it, although it never served any purpose. Sometimes those things are the best - just something simple to take pleasure in.

Besides being fun, the new camera served a purpose. I would now be able to take better photos of tapirs for the gift shop. These two balsa wood tapirs had been purchased in Peru and donated to the Tapir Fund to raise money on eBay. My photo stand was a built-in bench on the back deck. I could hang various drapes from the side of the house and experiment with various lighting conditions. It was often either very bright or too much in shadow. Still, I began taking good pictures for the online store and for eBay - pictures that actually showed the items quite well an brought compliments and sales.

No comments: