Tuesday, January 09, 2001

Leila, sunset, and things I've saved

Leila was one of our two dogs. Her mother was a chow, and her father was at least part Labrador. Her mom died shortly after giving birth, and the puppies were sent to a neighbor's to nurse with a dog that had recently given birth herself. This created quite a load for the adoptive mother dog, and probably also for the humans. Leila and her siblings were weaned and taken to the animal shelter earlier than one usually weans a litter. I have some puppy pictures of her that I'll scan sometime. She was a furball as a pup and very smart; as an adult she could look as elegant as a queen or as awkward as bull. I loved that dog to pieces!

Ms. Contortionist. Her favorite spot in the whole house was at the foot of the two carpteted steps that led from the kitchen down to the family room, which we used as an office. In the winter, it was a good place to feel the warmth of the wood stove, but she loved that spot in any season.

Sunset from the back yard. Palisade didin't get a lot of thunderheads and big exotic clouds, and in fact, most of the time the sunsets were kind of a bust. But on occasion we got the most wonderful array of colors, and clouds that defied arrangement.


These are things that I've carried with me for a long time. Everything has a story. The box with the spots and stripes was made by Kate and given to me, and it's part of a bigger story. The short version is, it's painted like a baby tapir. Maybe sometime I'll photograph and tell the longer story.

No comments: