Saturday, January 27, 2001

Badger art and snow

I drew this badger in the mid to late 1970s, and took the photo today. It was amazing to me that I used to be able to go to the basement educational department of the Los Angeles County Museum of Natural History and check out taxidermied animals the way you'd check out a library book. I could take them home and draw them again and again until they were due back. I've always liked this badger. The drawing is done in dark pencil, and is about 12 x 16 inches, I think. It was one of my best. Sometimes I'd go to the museum and draw the bigger animals in the Hall of Mammals or draw dinosaur bones. Kathy, who worked with me in my graphics business was also an artist, and when work was slow, we'd sometimes go draw. But the post date of this picture is the day I took the photo. I want to be able to draw as nicely as this again, but I'm rusty and it's not coming easily. For an enlargement of the badger's face, see my web album.

This pic is nothing special, it just shows what the snow was doing. That weedy stand is my garden. I'll have fun with it again in spring.

(Your visit to this blog helps us build traffic to support tapir conservation. We usually have some badgers in the gift shop!)

No comments: