Saturday, January 13, 2001

A heavy snow day in Palisade

This is quite a big snow day for Palisade. Old-timers say snow used to reach three and four feet deep here thirty years ago, but the most snow I ever saw accumulate was about four inches. Mount Garfield is to the west behind the tree branches.

I always love the patterns the snow makes on the Bookcliffs. It brings out the geology in a way you don't see as dramatically under any other conditions.

There's Leila wondering what to do with snow. I think she enjoys it.

Beyond our fence you can see the tops of the bare peach trees on 37 3/10 Road (alias Elberta Ave.).

I included this picture to show Grand Mesa beyond the rooftops. The big, round tree is a globe willow in its winter clothing.

This is our front yard, with our re-planted Christmas tree and the globe willow I grew from a sprouting stick. The dark area to the right is the canopy over the front door. It's not that cavernous, but the contrast with the snow makes it look that way.

This is my garden in less snowy seasons. I've had a hard time making anything grow in ground that was saturated with weed-killer, so I started with a smallish plot where a few plants managed to survive and even thrive now and then. It looks pretty covered with snow.

By afternoon, you can see that some of the snow has melted, bringing out the strongly horizontal rim-rock even more.

Here's a view of the easterly direction of Milleman Street.
You can see these photos in my Palisade web album, too.

No comments: