Friday, January 19, 2001

Downtown Palisade, Colorado, and Elvis with two wood tapirs

This is one of my favorite Mt. Garfield photos, with the leafless peach trees and snow. I took it from the end of our street (Milleman) where it crossed the main road into Palisade, which has the picturesque name of 37 3/10 Road. No, I'm not kidding. The Grand Valley is on a grid system. Further down, it's called Elberta Avenue, but I'm not sure if the name is official up here near I-70.

That's my Mazda hatchback parked in front of our group mailboxes on 37 3/10 Road. In the distance is Grand Mesa. Our house is the second (tan) one behind the blue one on the left. Mt. Garfield is behind me. The view of Garfield from our back deck was uninterrupted and glorious before the blue house was built. They're nice people, but I sure appreciated that view and I hated to see it go. The round-topped trees are globe willows. They grow like weeds, and they look beautiful. I'd never seen one until I came to Colorado in 1992, and now I love them.

The red building is The Livery, an old-fashioned bar that looks like a movie set and has a nice atmosphere. I'm standing in the parking lot of Family Food Town. Yes, this is Main Street. You can just see Grand Mesa in the background. The building with the blue banner has had some incredibly good restaurants in it, but inevitably they go downhill when (I imagine) they can't keep up the quality of food or the chef they opened with.

That's a nice shot of Grand Mesa, showing also what a teeny town this is. The population might be 2,000? So how do I not go crazy? Internet (web site and business), e-mail, books, friends, husband, pets, artwork, genealogy, gorgeous scenery in every direction, camera, and . . . I'm a "project person." I always keep busy doing something that (to me anyway) is fascinating.

Here's more of the Family Food Town parking lot. The white roof is a gazebo with benches. The big tan building next to the red one is the bank (downstairs) and offices upstairs. My dentist's office used to be up there.

More exciting downtown Palisade. I'm not sure why I included this one, but it's uploaded now, so there you have it. There are a couple of sidewalks in downtown Palisade, and this proves it. The street light is nice, too.

From the Family Food Town parking lot, you can see Mt. Garfield to the northwest and the train tracks on the rise in front of the white buildings. I sometimes walk down here to get exercise. Our house is up near the bluffs. There's a lift gate, or drop gate, where the tracks cross Main Street, and I always love it when the trains come through, even though they're long and make you wait. I was surprised one day to hear that one of the white buildings was a meth lab and had been busted. I had not thought of meth labs. The idea never crossed my mind. I was too busy dealing with tapirs. Why would I be thinking of meth labs anyway? I just remember it was a big surprise to think about that kind of drug operation right where I'd been thinking everything was so basic, plain, harmless and legal.

This is Elvis with two carved balsa wood tapirs from Peru. She (Elvis) almost looks motherly. This is a bench on our back deck where I took photos for the online gift shop. It was interesting, because the light was so often extremely bright. I had to jump through hoops to get anything I could use.

I guess Elvis has had enough. 'Bye-bye, Elvis.

No comments: