Tuesday, May 12, 2009

May 12, Astoria: It might as well be Winter (almost)

It was another Spring day, but one on which I was missing the down jacket I accidentally left in Lee's car the other day. As the tide goes out, the ducks like to feed on the cement platform that holds up the radio tower. The tide will get lower, but for now the amount of water is just right for the ducks to pick up food that washes across the tower's base. As you can see, it's raining.

And it's been raining off and on for a couple of days. It muddies the water and brings sticks and logs down the river. In this case the branch is spindly and will float away on the tide. It's about 6 or 8 feet long, though - probably bigger than it looks here.

The clouds are always fun to watch. They hover, sink onto the river as fog, then lift again, sometimes changing the scene dramatically every few minutes.

Log update: It's still here and doesn't seem like it's going anywhere soon.

I noticed this gorgeous salmon-colored azalea bush on Harrison Ave this morning and took a photo for my Ruby Tuesday post below. See the red tulip? Nice!

I had to get some closer shots of the salmon flowers. The color is just amazing. I don't remember seeing any like this before. If you click to enlarge it, you can see a common Northwest feature - the branches have large chunks of moss growing on them. A moment later I got into my car, just in time to avoid being pelted by very wet hail.

Later in the day this barge passed my office. The sunlight was already fading by the time I got my camera and got outside. There's still a ray of sun on the yellowish wood chips, but a moment earlier they had been brilliant. I love the texture in the clouds.

No comments: