Saturday, May 19, 2001

Counting the days, enjoying the flowers

The days were counting down to moving day early in June. I still didn't know where I was going to end up. I was thinking that someplace near my brother in Cottage Grove, Oregon, would work. Maybe Eugene, as it had more potential. I was reading about some aspects of living there. I'd taken one of the most important (to me) for granted, and that would turn out to be a mistake. Meanwhile, the riot of growing, flowering plants was my delight. Here's one view of the front yard here on Milleman Street.

Here's another view. I've never been a fan of plain tract-looking houses like this, but the location made all the difference, and the flowers were the icing on the cake. We always got weed ordinance notices, though. As you can see, it's not manicured.

It was an ongoing struggle between getting something to grow besides the iron weeds and having that something go crazy and look like a jungle. I didn't mind the jungle so much, but there were times that the only cure that would keep away the weed ordinance wolf was a lawn mower. The neighbors liked us better when it was trimmed, too, especially the retired ones who seemed to have nothing to do but make their yards look perfect and give us the evil eye.

No comments: