Monday, May 07, 2001

Purple wallflowers in Palisade - it's jungle season

Ah, the purple wallflowers are blooming in the front yard. The wallflowers come in all colors and you never know what each year will bring. They're tough, too. They find their way by themselves. I do love the times here when the flowers start coming out. The flowers grow, the weeds grow, everything takes off and blooms or exudes or twines or mushrooms for the short happy season before it's baked dead. I always let the garden go a little crazy, but soon I'll be trying to cut and pull it back into shape - usually without much success. I'm delighted so see something with color in the front yard where the rocks and herbicide ruled for so long.

MAY: I could be starting a suburban legend, but it seems to me that every May 2nd, something happens here. It's the first day all year that you can feel the summer heat at some time during the day. With that, for me, comes a momentary depression. The time is over when I feel elated the whole time I'm outdoors. That feeling is basically over until October. From the second on, it can be hot, but there are a few days left when it won't be too bad. But this year will be different. I'm leaving all this and I'll be in Oregon in about a month.

No comments: