Saturday, February 10, 2001

Wood stove, copier, and life in a hot/cold climate

This isn't one of those elegant scenic photos, but it certainly does depict what my life is about much of the time. I love the wood stove, and I love working in this room with Marco and the dogs and Elvis. It was supposed to be a family room, but it's our office. I suppose we use it as a family room, because working is what we do most of the time. I was really pleased when I got my own copier, because it made Club Tapir a lot easier to produce, saved a lot of trips to the copy shop, and gave me an alternative to making do with slow scans or (gulp) copying on the fax machine. I figure it will pay off eventually. Just above it you can see wiring that leads to one of my favorite things in the whole house - the air conditioner. It may sound trivial to people who live in certain areas where AC is standard, but we had a shock when we moved here. It was every bit as hot as California, but here in Colorado what the folks do is install swamp coolers. These can lower the temperature in a building 10 or 20 degrees in dry weather and if they work right, which ours did not. But they also don't work that well any more in the 21st Century. The humidity of the valley has been raised by the population influx and the planting and cultivation (irrigation) of all kinds of vegetation and crops, so they say. Any anyway, when it's a hundred and five out, eight-five to ninety-five is still freakin' hot inside. I had trouble convincing Marco of this. He's from the Philippines. Anyhoo, we got a good AC, and it's wonderful, especially after trying to sweat it out for a few years. My body doesn't deal that well with heat.

About the red bag, I'm still trying to remember (as I write this later) what was in it. I remember that red was symbolic for something-or-other. I'd bought a bunch of bags on eBay made with a variety of wonderful fabric, and then had more made up. I used them for everything. What in the heck would be hanging on the stand with the fire utensils? Oh, yeah! Matches! Red for fire. Good.

No comments: