Saturday, March 10, 2001

Surreal scenes at the airport

Scenes from the airport in Grand Junction, Colorado. I was picking up Kate for one of her rare and wonderful visits. Kate is magical. Now about the goat: I love the white goat with white pipes. It looks so surreal. It looks like something Robert Rauschenberg would make. Or Duchamp, I don't know. Anyway, did they realize what they were doing? I love it!

I can't explain it. For someone who loves animals, I can also look at them in this condition, maybe just because they are animals. You can get up close and see the detail. Of course, if I'd known the animal alive, I'm sure it would be a completely different story. I've drawn animals that are stuffed and don't move, but I didn't come back to draw these.


I like airports. It doesn't matter much about the size or location. My dad loves them, too. He says it's about the excitement of going somewhere, even if you're not boarding the plane that day. I'm sure that's true. We both have it. And then the bears: It's weird enough seeing stuffed bears in an airport, and the mountain goat up there on a piece of granite, but I also thought the red wheels made a strange juxtaposition with the planes. It may (or may not) be a modern way of doing whatever it is they do (fire extinguishers?), but it looks like a mix of two centuries, and that would be odd. I also wanted to include this photo because it shows Mt. Garfield from the Grand Junction side and gives a hint of how far the Bookcliffs stretch. Palisade is tucked in behind the tail of the plane on the right.

No comments: