Monday, January 29, 2001

Bits of home and office

Bits. I made some beanbag pillow coasters out of fabric that I loved to look at. I thought about selling them on eBay, then was glad I didn't. They worked for awhile, but eventually the beans inside got soggy and weird. I was using real beans, and the condensation from the outside of the mugs and glasses eventually made the beans think it was time to either disintigrate or sprout. Or get mooshy and give out an unpleasant odor. But they were fun while they lasted. The Favorite Horse Stories book was recommended by someone, and I think it had an actual short story with a tapir in it. I'll have to look it up again. My hand-written notes under the book list several tapir species with numbers. I see I was deeply into some project, because the books are about digital documents and the folder contains photos and slides. What else is new?

This mug came from a trip to Chicago to the Brookfield Zoo, where I was invited to take part in a meeting with other IUCN/SSC members to brainstorm about a virtual library. I had put the 1997 Tapir Action Plan online, which only seemed natural to me, and then I found out it was the very first IUCN action plan to go on the Web. Cool. I'm proud of this achievement, and to have been in the forefront of something. So they wanted my input for the digital library. I like buying mugs as souvenirs. It was a nice thing to have as a keepsake, but I also bought them for presents. I couldn't have found something less bulky and heavy that I liked as well? I guess not! The credit card swiper terminal on the right is for the Tapir Gallery Gift Shop. I remember how I got started in 1996 or 1997. I went into the local bank and said I wanted to do business online, and they said, "We've never done this before, but we're going to take a chance with you because you've been a reliable customer. We're going to set up a credit card processing account for you as a test case!"

No comments: